Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Joe Mentalino

Turkey and provolone can get pretty old quick when you bring it to work for lunch a few days a week, every week.  So today I made some moves and turned the ordinary turkey and cheese to a legit sandwich contender.

I brought in a half of a tomato that I had left over.  I didn't want to put it directly on the sandwich when I made it because after 4.5 hrs in the fridge it would get a little mushod.  Next, I went downstairs to the cafeteria and noticed they had roasted whole jalapenos.  I grabbed a couple of those along with some salt and pepper and a mayo packet knowing they would be a great addition.  Prior to recreating the sandwich, I disassembled it and toasted the bread.  Most sandwiches, especially those on sliced bread taste better toasted.  Finally I put the sandwich back together in the following order, because the proper layering of a sandwich is key.  Slice of toasted bread, hickory smoked turkey, provolone, sliced tomato, salt, roasted jalapeno, mayo, pepper, toast.

After two bites of the sandwich, I had an instant feeling in my stomach.  I immediately thought if this was how Joe Mentalino, the character in Dumb and Dumber with the stomach ulcer, felt after taking a bite of his burger.  That didn't stop me from finishing it though.  I battled through it, it was delicious.  So far, I have no regrets.

- Lunch Pail

Joe Mentalino on the left
The Joe Mentalino

No comments:

Post a Comment