Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Chicken Wings - Coalhouse Pizza, Stamford, CT

A couple of weeks ago I met up with some old colleagues for lunch and based on the recommendation of Joe Keary, we decided on Coalhouse Pizza.  Mr. Keary claimed that these are the second best chicken wings that he has ever had.  He mentioned this on the phone as well as a few more times in the restaurant.  Based on these claims, everyone ordered chicken wings, and everyone ended up being disappointed in this decision, except Joe, after a few bites of the wings.

The menu for Coalhouse Pizza's chicken wings reads as follows:
MA RAINEY’S ROADHOUSE CHICKEN WINGS - Marinated for 24 hours in micro-brewed beer, with honey mustard, olive oil, garlic and oregano. Our succulent antibiotic and hormone-free chicken wings are loosely coated with panko bread crumbs and lightly fried.

Sounds pretty good right?

It is hard to describe this wing experience.  They tasted like soggy, burnt Shake N' Bake chicken.  Coalhouse breads their wings, similar to hooters, but definitely not as good.  I ordered 12 wings, 6 Jamaican Jerk and 6 Hot, and I couldn't tell which was which by the look of them or the taste.  The only thing I tasted was burnt panko breading.  Although these wings are towards the bottom of the list where I rank chicken wings, thinking a C- range.  I did manage to eat all 12 because I was hungry and do not like to waste food.
Joe said that the wings are better than their pizza, but based on my wing experience at Coalhouse, I am not sure if I want to find out if that is true or not.

- Lunch Pail


No comments:

Post a Comment