Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Boys of 13D

H.I.T.B brings us his tailgate experience from a couple of weeks ago at the Jets v. Panthers game.  Looks like they had an awesome time and that these guys know how to throw a tailgate.  The worst part of the post is that it is about the Jets.  Enjoy...

"A day of football often warrants a day of manging. Generally speaking, I can expect to gorge on buffalo wings, pizza, nachos, hot dogs or countless other man-delicacies. This past Sunday was to be no exception. I went to the New York Jets vs. Carolina Panthers game, and by the way the Jets have been playing, I thought that whatever tailgating delicacies I could scarf down would most likely be the highlight of the afternoon. GRPD, who provided the tickets, called me up the Wednesday before the game and told me he had a treat for me. A WORLD CLASS TAILGATE, the likes of which I have probably never seen. I was skeptical at first. I’ve known GRPD for some time now, and although he’s true-blue Italiano, I’ve seen him savor Subway© sandwiches like they were works of art. I asked him, “What am I in for” to his response “you WON’T be disappointed!” It peaked my interest, so I let my buddy Scott, who was coming with the game that there was a sick tailgate and for $40, we just show up and feast. All of us were ready…or so we thought.

We showed up at 10:30, planning on 9:30 but GRPD had a rough night in White Plains, and when we got to the parking lot and found the tailgate setup we were shocked at what we saw. Tables of food from Burgers and Dogs, to Meatballs and Chicken Parm; Loaves of the freshest Italian bread and kegs, cans and bottles of delicious beer. We hit the jackpot! I dove into the cooler and fetched a Yuengling Amber, Scott and GRPD went for the Yuengling Black and Tan. We decided to scope the event out, as we’d just arrived and the common theme for those playing beer pong, talking to old friends and playing corn hole was that everyone had a plate of food fit for a king. We’d waited long enough, WE MUST FEED. We hit the buffet line hard I went for a sausage and peppers on an Italian bread wedge with a meatball slider (nice sized meatball on a dinner roll). The boys got the same and we shared nudges of enjoyment to exclaim how happy we were to be here! We got to meet some of the characters Carmine, Al and the rest of the boys reminded me of the cast of the Sopranos. Some quotes heard by the boys were “you’re all a bunch of scumbags…and you, you’re sista is a who-a (whore)” and “my wife loves me because my d*ck is 9 inches…from my a$$shole”. These were men who were professional tailgaters. Waiting on the buffet line, they were constantly throwing new trays of food onto the grill to heat up, meatballs, chicken parm in vodka sauce, gnocchi and even something I’ve never scene before in my life (Deep Fried Pizza). The concept is to deep fry the dough then cover it in sauce cheese and meat toppings and then to grill it. PHENOMENAL!!!

We stuffed ourselves silly and watched one of the more exciting Jets games I’ve ever been to from the best seats I’ve ever sat in (Thanks GRPD). Great game with a 17-6 Jets W. We came out of the stadium victorious and wondering what the boys had in store for us when we got out…THEY DID NOT DISAPPOINT!!! We came out to a few of the standards from before: Tons of Beer, Meatballs, Chicken Parm but alas the decided to step it up and grill some Lemon Shrimp Skewers, serve up Pulled Pork Sandwiches and throw a few thick steaks on the grill for good measure. Oh and just to keep their ancestors happy, they made the most amazing Pasta Fagioli (with white beans, some potatoes, pasta and ground meatball and small chunks of pepperoni). My taste buds were exploding and by this time, so was my belt. I got up from the curb that I was making my private dining room table and told Scott that I needed to do a lap of the parking lot. We walked and saw the poor saps who decided to do it themselves enjoying cold cheeseburgers and warm beer. I vowed never again would I do my own tailgate as long as the boys in section 13D were still going to games. We got back, GRPD and Scott enjoyed a Fried Banana and we said our goodbyes."

- H.I.T.B

The tree chefs.  I bet none of these guy's last names end in a vowel.  


Couple of grill shots.  Shrimp, Burgers, Pulled Pork, and T-Bones.


Soup and Sandwich.  Pulled Pork and Pasta Fagiole.


Meatballs, Marinara and Vodka Sauce.  Sausage and Peppers.


Proud to be an American!


From Left to Right: GRPD, Scott (not proud to be an American), and Joe Keary (H.I.T.B)

7 comments:

  1. E-A-T-S. EATS! EATS! EATS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne Cherbet had more of an impact on the Jets than Mark Sanchez ever will.

    Way to invest in the Sanchise GRPD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take Cherbet over Edwards any day. He was the man.

    I don't man... Hot dogs, Joe Girardi sliding lessons, beating the Pats at home for the first time since 2000... He's definitely had an impact in a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. I think we can blame Pennington for losing most of those years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this past weekends tailgate at 13D was better than the jets performace versus the falcons. Typical shitty jets. Is it coincidence that most mets fans are jets fans too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't make it down but the tailgate was definitely the best part of the day after 3 botched FGs!!

    From what I have noticed, a lot of Jets fans are from Jersey and LI. I think the location of the old Shea/new Citi Field might have something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete