Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

General Jensen's - Panda Garden, Stamford, CT

This past summer Peter Koutroubis introduced me to The Panda Garden on High Ridge Rd, Stamford , CT, and my life changed forever and took the place of best chinese food in Stamford from Chop Stick King.  The best part of it is, he did not refer to this haven of delicious $4.75 lunch combinations as Panda Garden, but as "The Meat".  When I asked him why "The Meat", he said words cannot explain it, you have to witness it for yourself.

My first few trips to The Meat I ordered the classics, General Tso's Chicken, Boneless Spareribs, and Szechwan Beef, all of which were awesome.  After earning my trust and respect, I figured I would expand my horizons.  I decided I wanted General Tso's, but not with the standard Tso's sauce, but with Garlic Sauce.  I shared this idea with Peter and he gawked at me.  He told me to order it seperate from everyone elses meals so they don't screw up their orders.  Peter clearly lacked the confidence I had in The Meat.  I placed the order and waited in anticipation, not really knowing what to expect.  I have had Chicken and Broccoli with Garlic Sauce, but never this.  Within 7 minutes the women was walking over to the table and placed the plate in front of me. Everyone's eyes opened with amazement and a "Wow, what is that" errupted from the table. 

Let me tell you, this dish is awesome.  If you like regular General Tso's you will love this.  I highly recommend it to everyone the next time they order Chinese take-out.  You have all the benefits of the General's chicken, without the goopy, sugary sauce.  The garlic sauce is hearty brown sauce that doesn't glob up as it cools and coats the chicken wonderfully. 

After the first bite I sent a picture text to Serious Meat to share this new creation, which has since been named General Jensen's, and to tell him to order it ASAP.  Note:  General Jensen's isn't the real name of the dish, it is the name I came up with.  Don't go to your local spot and order General Jensen's and expect them to know what you are talking about.

Yo Jens, how's the garlic sauce?

- Lunch Pail

This was my lunch prior to taking the Audit section of the CPA exam.  General Jensen's Lunch Combo from the Meat.  The fried rice is some of the best I have ever had.

1 comment:

  1. Lunch Pail...this is the first time I tried the famous General Jensen but it is one the best Chinese creation I have ever tasted....to sum it up it is Mouthsex to Dennis

    ReplyDelete