Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Corporate Dogs

It was Chili Dog day down at the corporate cafeteria the other day and since I am a big fan of hot dogs I figured I would give them a shot.  As I was waiting to place my order I noticed the hot dogs were sitting in water, but didn't seem to be cooked and became curious on how they were going to be cooked as there is a flat top griddle and gas grill.  Since the cafeteria is about getting your food to you quickly in order to keep the line moving, the cook split each dog in half and put them on the grill.  I am not a big fan of this technique put I went with it anyway.  Notice the grill marks in the picture below.  What the chef did that I wasn't expecting was he put the bun on the griddle to warm it up a bit.  I appreciated that move because I could tell it would be a terrible bun if not heated up.  After a minute or two, the dops were flipped for another minute and then put on the the bun and covered in chili and brown mustard.  The chili was a little dry and flavorless with no spice.  I like a nice saucy chili with a kick on my dog.

Overall it was a decent dog and satisfied my curiosity and met my low expectations for a cafeteria hot dog.  One thing I did enjoy was there was a bit of a snap to the dog when I bit into it ,which is a sing of a good casing. 

- Lunch Pail


No comments:

Post a Comment