Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Malt Vinegar Challenge

Sire Phil #14 suggested that we should post about food challenges/bets that we have accepted and the results of such challenges/bets. I thought that this was a great idea since I have accepted quite a few stupid bets and challenges when it comes to food in my life. The Taco Bell Grande Meal, Gallon of Milk, # of plates at the Chinese Buffet with my buddy Sauce, and a few Wings eating contests with friends, one ending with a minor heart attack and heavy breathing.

The one that I will be highlighting today occurred on St. Patty's Day 2008 during lunch. The engagement team I was on was sent home by a client to remain nameless, so we figured why not have lunch at Tigin. We ordered a few pints and I ordered the Fish N' Chips. Knowing I am a sucker for stupid bets, Brian Berkowitz offered me $20 to drink a full bottle (12 oz.) of Heinz Malt Vinegar. I accepted with the one condition that I was allowed to pour it into a cup first. As I raised the cup to my lips, the smell of the vinegar almost knocked me over, but I took a few gulps. It wasn't too bad. My teeth felt funny, but my stomach was doing ok. Then the next few gulps, I begin to sweat. With the end in site I finish the glass. Berko hands over the $20 and the sweat really starts to come on. The table begins to ask if I am ok and how I feel. I eat a few fries to try to absorb the acid and drink some water to get the foul taste out of my mouth. Nothing seemed to help, the sweat was now beading on my forehead and there was only one cure to end the agony. I went to the bathroom and let it ride. There was no rule on how long I had to keep it down, but I lasted about 15 minutes.

The lunch cost about $18, so at the end of the day I was left with $2 in my pocket, a rented lunch, watery eyes, and enamel less teeth. I will probably never do it again, but it was entertaining for those in attendance.



Please share any great challenges/bets that you have accepted. I feel that it will be a great addition to the blog.
- Lunch Pail

2 comments:

  1. Competitive eating is always in order. I have my picture on the wall at J&R’s (the grimiest of steak houses) for slaying a 72oz. along with 5 of my friends. I will never go back there again as the steak was marbled with fat and was most likely “F” grade; however, I’m not one to pass up a challenge. To date, one of the most amazing feats I have seen with my own eyes is my buddy John putting down 2 whole pizza pies in one sitting. Such glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the passion Peter and am looking to forward to your contributions to the blog.

    ReplyDelete